Keith W. Churill
Point Iroquois, Michigan
Built: (1857) 1870
Construction: Cylindrical brick / Integral
Status: In-Active since 1962,
Public Access with Museum
Location: Point Iroquois, just North of Brimley
Height: 65 feet
Car, with parking near the Light.
In 1857, the Fourth Order Fresnel lens was first illuminated at Point
Iroquois. Located at the entrance to the St. Mary's River and the Soo
Locks, it played an important role in one of the busiest shipping
lanes of the region. With the increase in shipping traffic and the need
for more personnel, a larger light station and tower were constructed in
1962 the light was taken out of service, replaced with an aid to
navigation constructed out in the lake next to the shipping channel.