Photographer: Keith W. Churill

History : Located on a rock bluff, this impressive light guides ships in from Lake Superior to Marquette Harbor. it was originally constructed in 1853, reconstructed in 1866 and still stands today. An additional floor was added to the keeper's dwelling in 1906. The brick light tower measures 9 feet 4 inches square and stands 38 feet 9 inches tall. Walls are 13 inches thick at the base supporting a cast-iron, 10 sided lantern. The lantern has an inscribed diameter of 7 feet. The lens focal plane is 70 feet above lake level.

Marquette Light 

Marquette, Michigan

Built :  1853, 1866 

Construction :  Square / integral brick

Status : Active Coast Guard Station

Location : Marquette, MI.

Height : 40 feet

Access : Car, with a short walk on the North side beach. The sight is an active Coast Guard Station so access to the lighthouse grounds is prohibited. Off of US-41/M-28, take Front St. North to Main and turn right, East. Go one block and turn left, North on Lakeshore. This will take you East again to Ellwood Mattson Park. This will give access to the Lighthouse, Coast Guard Station and the Maritime Museum. Guided tours are available through the Maritime Museum

Photo courtesy of: U.S. Coast Guard

Lens: In 1906 the light exhibited was from a Fourth Order Fresnel lens. It was operated by a clockwork type mechanism, all manufactured by Barbier, Benard & Turenne of Paris. in 1907 the lamp was replaced with an incandescent oil vapor lamp. The current active beacon is a Westinghouse, 703,000 candlepower, 36 inch Aero-Beacon.

A much needed U.S. Coast Guard station is located here, for the nearest station is at the Soo Locks. Just to the South a once unique light marked the end of the breakwater, since replace with a modern structure. The original breakwater light was built in 1875 with the newer structure built in 1908. Most breakwater type lights had catwalks leading out to the light so the keepers could venture out to the light without being in danger of bad sea conditions. These architects did something different, they constructed a tunnel that would lead out to the light coming up beneath it. Since then the breakwater was lengthened, but the tunnel was not, being sealed of at the time.

Photo courtesy of: U.S. Coast Guard

Photographer: Roy B. Westin


 

Harbors | Lighthouses | Shipwrecks & Scuba Diving | Great Lakes Shipping | Services | Site Map | Links

Any Latitude,  Longitude Coordinates & Navigational Information given in this Web Site is for REFERENCE ONLY! 

Use only current Charts for Navigation, available from many Commercial Marina's.   Please see "terms and conditions"

Web Page Designed by Midwest Connection, l.l.c.

All photographs & images are property of  Midwest Connection,l.l.c. and/or Lakers Photography and/or it's Respective Photographer

URL: www.midwestconnection.com                  Email: webmaster@midwestconnection.com 

Copyright 1999-2005 Midwest Connection, L.L.C.  All rights reserved.