Photographer: Keith Churill

History : To allow the safe passage of vessels into Grand Island Harbor and Munising Bay, one of two beacons were needed. Congress appropriated a total $16,000 in June of 1860 and July of 1866 for construction of these lights. The Secretary of the Treasury authorized one lighthouse to be constructed on the Southeast corner of Grand Island and one lighthouse on the mainland for the West passage.

A wood framed keepers dwelling with an attached, square, wood tower was constructed. This light was first lit in 1870 and operated until 1913 when the Munising range lights went into operation. George Pryor is one of the last known keeper's to serve at this station.

Currently the lighthouse has undergone partial restoration and sees two or three of the large "Lakers" pass by in the East Channel each year.

Grand Island East Channel

Grand Island, Michigan

Built:  1870 

Construction: Square / Integral wood

Status: Inactive

Location: Grand Island, MI. (Munising)

Access: Ferry to Grand Island

Photographer: Rob Downs

Photographer: Tom Woodruff     (July 2008)

Photographer: Keith Churill     (June 2008)


 

Harbors | Lighthouses | Shipwrecks & Scuba Diving | Great Lakes Shipping | Services | Site Map | Links

Any Latitude,  Longitude Coordinates & Navigational Information given in this Web Site is for REFERENCE ONLY! 

Use only current Charts for Navigation, available from many Commercial Marina's.   Please see "terms and conditions"

Web Page Designed by Midwest Connection, l.l.c.

All photographs & images are property of  Midwest Connection,l.l.c. and/or Lakers Photography and/or it's Respective Photographer

URL: www.midwestconnection.com                  Email: webmaster@midwestconnection.com 

Copyright 1999-2005 Midwest Connection, L.L.C.  All rights reserved.